Monday, December 21, 2009

Could you please do me a favor and let me know when to use 'advise' or 'advice' in a sentence?

I am not american but my boss is american and every time I send him an email I hesitate about that word.


Thank youCould you please do me a favor and let me know when to use 'advise' or 'advice' in a sentence?
Hi.


Here is the deal:


advise is a verb and advice is a noun, now you can use it freely and surely that you won't make any more mistakes.


Take care.Could you please do me a favor and let me know when to use 'advise' or 'advice' in a sentence?
You advise someone on how to do something. You offer advice.
The advice given by Ismaboa above is sound. The advice I'm advising you now is one way to use both words in one sentence.
I advise you to take my advice.





Advice is a noun, a ';thing'; (though not a physical thing).





To advise someone is a verb, it's doing something.





So, when you're talking about the ';stuff';, use the noun, advice; when you're talking about someone giving advice, use the verb, advise.
Advise is ';to advise someone'; like I am advising you about how to use the words.


It's pronounced like ';Ad-Vize';


Advice is the actual content of say; this answer. It is the instruction that you are giving when you ';advise someone.';


Pronounced as it is written. With the 'vice' like 'ice.'

No comments:

Post a Comment